Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The graduate

So I have a younger cousin who is going into film school. This is his freshman year and I thought that I should pass some words of wisdom on to him. I read my boyfriend the email I sent my cousin and he told me he wished someone told him that when he started.  So I thought I would start off this blog with the little words of wisdom that I have. 


1) Don't ever forget who you are. Don't get caught up making movies like your favorite director or dp or editor. Use your own voice in every film
2) if you have great professors and classmates you will get torn apart your first year or so in school this is good because everyone need true criticism and needs to learn how to give and receive it. Its ok to be passionate about the things you made and you should be but know there is a whole world out there waiting to judge everything!
3) No one know the true passion you have for filmmaking except yourself! Your parents will always be behind you they love you! But that doesn't mean they understand and when you start getting jobs family and love ones try to understand but unless they are in the art industry themselves it is really hard for them to understand what you are dong and why you are dong it. So your best friends will be the one's that you go to film school (or for the arts) with they will understand everything you are going through and will probably be there for you when you feel like you are at an all time low.
4) you probably will be burnt out at one point if will feel like your head is going to explode because you can't get location or a actor or in the editing room you realize you do not have the footage you wanted-- just remember breathe! You are creative so you should have no problem finding a solution and once you hand in and show your project you will be soooo proud of what you created! Never ever give up! you made it this far!


I can't speak for every film student out there,  I can only speak for me. But I have been very fortunate for the most part with the friends I have made. I have a great boyfriend who also wants to be in the industry and we have our fights every once and a while but I couldn't imagine going through this with out him! Or with out my group of girlfriends. I have some friends that went to film school with me and one who went to school for photography and I just feel like we are all lost. We are just drowning, clawing, fighting our way  to the top. Thinking why did we go to school for this. I defiantly don't have any answer, but I do have friends.

1 comment:

  1. Little Little! I agree! I wish someone would have told me the exact thing when I started! Sooooooo true! Especially being your own artist and how you are really the only one who knows your passions! Love it!

    ReplyDelete